If you’re a vegetarian, you might miss the taste of meat pies. But fret not, we’ve got you covered with this delicious vegetarian pork pie recipe. It’s easy to make and packed with flavor. You won’t even miss the real meat!
For the pastry:
- 200g plain flour
- 100g vegan butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g vegetarian minced pork
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, vegan butter, and salt until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the cold water and knead until it forms a smooth dough. Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a pan, sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Add in the vegetarian minced pork and mushrooms, and cook until browned.
- Stir in the soy sauce, thyme, sage, salt, and black pepper. Mix well and set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Divide the pastry dough into two portions – one for the base and one for the lid. Roll out the base portion and line a 23cm pie dish.
- Add in the cooled filling and smooth out the top.
- Roll out the lid portion and cover the pie. Crimp the edges with a fork and make a few slits on top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Enjoy your delicious vegetarian pork pie!
This vegetarian pork pie recipe is a great alternative for those who don’t eat meat. The combination of vegetarian minced pork, mushrooms, and herbs creates a delicious and savory flavor that will satisfy your cravings for meat pies. Give it a try and let us know what you think!