If you’re a fan of crispy, crunchy snacks, then pork scratchings are definitely worth trying. Often known as pork rinds, these snacks are made by frying or roasting the skin of a pig until it turns golden brown and crispy. In this article, we’ll give you a recipe for making your own pork scratchings at home, along with some tips on how to make them perfectly every time.
To make pork scratchings, you’ll need a few simple ingredients, including:
- Pork skin (with or without fat attached)
- Oil (vegetable or sunflower oil works well)
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C. 2. Cut the pork skin into small pieces, around 2-3cm in size. 3. Place the pork skin in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt, making sure each piece is coated. 4. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. 5. Add the pork skin to the pan, in small batches if necessary, and fry until golden brown and crispy. 6. Remove the pork scratchings from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. 7. Bake the pork scratchings in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until they are fully cooked and crispy. 8. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional salt if desired. 9. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for Perfect Pork Scratchings
Making perfect pork scratchings takes a bit of practice, but here are some tips to help you get started:
- Use pork skin with some fat attached – this will help the scratchings to become crispy and delicious.
- Season the pork skin well with salt – this will add flavor and help to draw out any moisture.
- Fry the pork skin in small batches – this will help to ensure that each piece cooks evenly.
- Use a frying pan with a non-stick surface – this will help to prevent the pork skin from sticking to the pan.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan – this will cause the pork skin to steam rather than fry, resulting in soggy scratchings.
- Bake the scratchings in the oven to finish cooking and ensure they are fully crispy.
Pork scratchings are a delicious snack that can be enjoyed on their own or as a topping for salads and soups. With this recipe and some practice, you’ll be able to make perfect pork scratchings every time. So why not give it a try and impress your friends and family with your homemade snack?